Stative Verb

BASIC ENGLISH GRAMMAR

Stative Verbs

Learn stative verbs through Form + Meaning + Use + Function. Don't just memorize a list. Understand how meaning and context affect grammar.

1. What are stative verbs?

A stative verb describes a state, condition, feeling, thought, possession, or relationship rather than a physical activity.

She runs every morning.
Running is an activity.
She knows the answer.
Knowing is a state.

Common stative meanings:

Thinking / Knowing Feelings / Preferences Possession Perception Relationship / Appearance Opinion
Meaning Examples
Thinking / knowing know, understand, believe, remember
Feelings / preferences like, love, hate, prefer, want
Possession have, own, belong
Perception see, hear, smell, taste
Relationship / appearance resemble, seem, contain
Opinion think, believe

2. The basic rule

Stative verbs are normally not used in the continuous form when they have a stative meaning.

I know the answer.
I am knowing the answer.
Not normally used for the stative meaning of know.
She likes coffee.
She is liking coffee.
Not normally used for the stative meaning of like.
They believe him.
They are believing him.
Not normally used for the stative meaning of believe.
STATE = usually simple form

ACTIVITY = continuous form can be used

Part A - The Tricky Part

3. One verb can have two meanings

A verb is not always stative or always dynamic. The meaning in the sentence determines how we use it.

THINK
I think you are right.
think = believe / have an opinion
I am thinking you are right.
Not normally used when think means believe.
I am thinking about your idea.
think = consider

Here, think describes an ongoing mental activity.

Form Meaning Use
I think... believe / have an opinion giving an opinion
I am thinking... considering showing an ongoing mental activity
HAVE

Possession

I have a car.
have = possess
I am having a car.
Not normally used when have means possess.

Activity

I am having lunch.
have = eat
She is having a shower.
We are having a meeting.
They are having dinner.
Key idea: Don't ask "Is HAVE a stative verb?" Ask: What does HAVE mean here?
SEE

Perception

I see a bird outside.
see = perceive with your eyes

Understand

Oh, I see what you mean.
see = understand

Meet / have an appointment

I am seeing my doctor tomorrow.
see = meet
I see a bird. = perception

I see what you mean. = understanding

I am seeing my doctor tomorrow. = meeting

Same verb. Different meaning. Different grammar.

FEEL

Feel can describe a state or a temporary experience.

I feel tired.
This describes a condition.
I am feeling better today.
The continuous form can emphasize a temporary or current experience.
Sentence Meaning
I feel sick. general/current condition
I am feeling much better now. current change or experience
BE
He is rude.
This can describe his character or general behaviour.
He is being rude.
The speaker focuses on his behaviour at this particular time.
She is quiet.
She has a quiet nature or she is quiet now.
She is being quiet.
She is deliberately behaving quietly now.
be + adjective = can describe a state

be being + adjective = can describe temporary behaviour
TASTE
The soup tastes good.
taste = have a particular flavour
The chef is tasting the soup.
taste = deliberately try the flavour
SMELL
The flowers smell nice.
smell = have a particular smell
She is smelling the flowers.
smell = deliberately use the nose to examine the smell
STATE = simple

ACTIVITY = continuous

Part B - Continuous does not always mean "now"

9. Continuous + ALWAYS

Students often learn: Present continuous = happening now.

But that is not always true.

He always complains.
A normal statement about his behaviour.
He is always complaining.
Repeated behaviour, often with a feeling of annoyance.
She is always losing her keys.

This does not mean she is losing her keys at this exact moment. It means she loses them repeatedly, and the speaker finds it annoying.

CONTINUOUS does not only mean "happening now"

Part C - Why "never use stative verbs in continuous" is too simple

10. "Usually" is better than "never"

In basic grammar:

I love this song.
This is the normal form.

However, English speakers sometimes use:

I'm loving this song!
The continuous form can make the feeling sound current, immediate, stronger, more expressive, or informal.
Important: Avoid teaching: "Stative verbs can NEVER be continuous."
Better rule: Stative verbs are normally not used in continuous forms when they describe a state.

11. The meaning can change the grammar

Look at these pairs.

THINK
I think he is right.
= believe
I am thinking about the problem.
= consider
HAVE
I have a car.
= possess
I am having lunch.
= eat
SEE
I see the problem.
= understand
I am seeing my doctor tomorrow.
= meet
TASTE
The soup tastes good.
= has a particular flavour
The chef is tasting the soup.
= trying the flavour
BE
He is rude.
= characteristic / general description
He is being rude.
= temporary behaviour
Central idea: Do not learn the verb only. Learn the meaning of the verb in context.

Part D - A useful classification

12. Three groups of stative verbs

Group 1 - Normally stative

These verbs normally describe states:

know understand believe own belong resemble need prefer
I know her.
This bag belongs to me.
She needs help.
Group 2 - Stative or dynamic depending on meaning
think have see feel taste smell look appear be

Their behaviour depends on meaning and context.

Group 3 - Sometimes used in continuous for special effect

Some verbs that normally describe states can appear in progressive forms in informal or expressive English.

I'm loving this!
I'm really enjoying this.

The point is not that the basic rule is wrong. Real English has more variation than a simple grammar rule suggests.

Part E - Form, Meaning, Use

13. FMU Summary

FORM

Stative meaning:

Subject + simple verb form
I know the answer.
She likes coffee.
He owns a house.

When an activity meaning is intended:

Subject + be + V-ing
I am thinking about it.
She is having lunch.
The chef is tasting the soup.
MEANING

Ask:

Does the verb describe a state or an activity?

State:

know own believe like

Activity:

think about have lunch taste smell
USE

Ask:

Why is the speaker using this form?
He is being rude.
The speaker is focusing on his behaviour now.

Function: P, O, C, or PC?

Here we separate two ideas:

Stative / Dynamic = meaning P / O / C / PC = function
Important: Do not confuse Verb as a part of speech with Predicate as a clause function.

Predicate (P)

P = Predicate. It is the part of the clause that says something about the subject.

I am eating martabak.

I = S
am eating martabak = P
martabak = O
S + P + O

Object (O)

I know him.

I = S
know him = P
him = O

him is the direct object of know.

Subject Complement (C)

This book is mine.

This book = S
is mine = P
mine = C

mine identifies the subject.

This book = mine

Prepositional Complement (PC)

This book belongs to me.

This book = S
belongs to me = P
to me = PC
me = object of the preposition to
S + P + PC
Remember: Not everything after a verb is an Object.
Sentence Clause Function Explanation
I know him. S + P + O him is the direct object of know.
This book is mine. S + P + C mine identifies the subject.
This book belongs to me. S + P + PC to me is a prepositional complement.
I am eating martabak. S + P + O martabak is the object of eating.

Sentence Analysis

This book belongs to me.
This book = S
belongs to me = P
to me = PC
me = object of the preposition to

Meaning: belongs = be owned by
This book is mine.
This book = S
is mine = P
mine = C

Relationship: This book = mine
I know him.
I = S
know him = P
him = O

know is a stative predicate.
I am eating martabak.
I = S
am eating martabak = P
martabak = O

eating has a dynamic meaning.

Part F - Common Student Traps

Trap 1 - "I am knowing the answer."
I am knowing the answer.
I know the answer.
Trap 2 - "She is having a car."
She is having a car.
She has a car.
have = possess
She is having lunch.
have = eat
Trap 3 - V-ing = always "now"?
He is always complaining.

Here, the continuous form describes repeated behaviour, often with annoyance.

Trap 4 - "Stative verb = never continuous"
I am thinking about it.
She is having lunch.
He is being rude.

So students need to ask: What does the verb mean in this sentence?

Quick Analysis

Identify the meaning of the verb in each sentence.

1. I think this is a good idea.

think = __________________

Show Answer
believe / have an opinion
2. I am thinking about your suggestion.

think = __________________

Show Answer
consider
3. She has two brothers.

have = __________________

Show Answer
possess / have as a family relationship
4. We are having dinner.

have = __________________

Show Answer
eat
5. The soup tastes salty.

taste = __________________

Show Answer
have a particular flavour
6. The chef is tasting the soup.

taste = __________________

Show Answer
deliberately try the flavour
7. He is rude.

be = __________________

Show Answer
describe a characteristic / general behaviour
8. He is being rude.

be = __________________

Show Answer
describe temporary behaviour

Function Practice

Identify the highlighted element as: O, C, or PC.

1. I know him.

Function = __________

Show Answer
O - Object
2. This book is mine.

Function = __________

Show Answer
C - Subject Complement
3. This book belongs to me.

Function = __________

Show Answer
PC - Prepositional Complement
4. I am eating martabak.

Function = __________

Show Answer
O - Object
5. She seems tired.

Function = __________

Show Answer
C - Subject Complement

Final Check

Which sentence is more appropriate?

A. I am knowing the answer.
B. I know the answer.

Show Answer
B. I know the answer.
Which sentence is correct?

A. This book belongs me.
B. This book belongs to me.

Show Answer
B. This book belongs to me.
What is the function of "mine"?

This book is mine.

Show Answer
C - Subject Complement

Key Takeaway

Do not memorize:

STATIVE VERB = NO -ING

Instead, remember:

STATE -> usually simple

ACTIVITY -> may be continuous

And most importantly:

MEANING + CONTEXT -> determine the grammar

When you see a verb, ask three questions:

FORM
What form is being used?
MEANING
What does the verb mean here?
USE
Why did the speaker choose this form?
FUNCTION
What is the function of the constituent? P? O? C? PC?
FORM + MEANING + USE + FUNCTION

That is the easiest way to understand stative verbs without simply memorizing a long list.

Same verb. Different meaning. Different grammar.